[mantra-multi] [mantra-column width=”1/2″]
- Jab/cross combination
- Deflection (closing attacker)
- Hook punch
- Knife hand block
- Inward Knifehand strike (palm up)
- Side guarding block (cover head and body at same time)
- Low Slicing (to the knee)
- Low Side (to the shins or knee)
- Midsection Side (to the side)
- Stepping side (in horse-riding stance)
- Sliding front
- Sliding turning
- Front fall
- Side fall
- Release one hand > elbow strike tosolar-plexus
- Strike wrist (LU7) > knife hand strike toneck (LI18)
Two Hands onto one hand
- Push down towards ground > pull up thumb or fingers
- Small circle using other hand to help.
Release from two hand grab from behind
- Elbows in > drop weight > turn one way, then the other > then step back under their arm and push arms away.
- Lower weight > push arms forward and body back into attacker > double elbow strike [Danger!]
Defence against punch
Start at punching distance.
- Against jab > deflect to close attack
- Against jab > deflect jab > kick to shins
- Against jab > deflect jab > turning kick to thigh or mid-section
- Against cross > deflect to close attack
- Against cross > deflect cross using sword movement > step to outside (90*) block > knee to ribs
- Against cross > deflect cross – step to outside (90*) block > side kick to knees or ribs
- Against round punch> step to inside –simultaneous block > palm to face/chin/nose.
- Against round punch > step to inside –simultaneous block > punch to solar plexus
- Against round punch > step to inside –simultaneous block > elbow to head
Start with the left leg forward in sparring stance at punching distance.
- One partner does a jab to head, cross to solar plexus then rear leg turning kick to the floating ribs.
- Other partner does upper block against jab, downwards block against cross then steps back and does guarding block against the turning kick.
- Then alternate and keep repeating back and forth.
Also practice starting with right leg forward to develop both sides equally.
Self Defence Drill 1 – Releases and Strikes
Click on image below to view a video of this drill.
- Single Hand Grab > Release and spin 180*
- Single Hand Grab and pull> Strike wrist to release and knifehand strike to neck (attacker leans back to avoid strike and replies immediately with the next attack.
- Punch > Step to outside (90*) and deflect the punch, grab the arm and knee to ribs > push attacker away
- Two Handed Choke > Grab one hand, other arm over and then elbow strike to head with loud kyup [DANGER!!]
- Demonstrate defence against dynamic grabs to wrists – front and rear – using releases only – or release/strike.
- Includes defence against punch – use 90* and 180* footwork
- Importance of head movement – don’t look at feet
Key Principles and Skills
- Non-resistance –relax, don’t tense when grabbed – don’t be there
- Circle Principle– lead an attack into a circle
- Blending with opponent’s movement – just enough so the attacker still thinks they have control of you
- Using 90* and 180* step – use of body weight, not arm strength.
- Sword movement for deflecting punches – presenting a triangle to the attacking line
- Kidney 1 – healing point or used for warming up
- Solar Plexus – used for elbow strikes and punch.