We are having another combined sparring session for AHA students and Giant Martial Arts students. Giant Martial Arts have a fantastic fully equipped gym in Bexley. Anthony and Giorgio Repice have kindly offered their gym for this event.
We thought it would be good to do something on the ‘south side’ of Sydney to make it more accessible to students from Glebe, Sutherland and Stanwell Park. Of course students from any of our clubs are welcomed – Brookvale, Pittwater, Castle Hill, Hornsby Heights, Central Coast, Redhead, Taree, Port Macquarie, Northern NSW, Melbourne – come on down!!
The aim of the session is to provide advanced students the opportunity to spar safely against someone they are not used to sparring in a co-operative environment.
The session will be mainly about giving you time ‘in the ring’ – time to try and get the simple things right – timing and distance.
Here is how it will work:
- Open to Blue Belt and above (or experienced in sparring – ask your instructor) members from Australian Hapkido Association or members from Giant Martial Arts.
- Women and teenagers welcome.
- No uniforms – T-shirt or rashie with shorts or track-pants.
- 16oz boxing gloves, shin guards, groin guard and mouth guard compulsory – headgear recommended.
- 2 min rounds with 1 min break.
- Change partner after 2-3 rounds.
- We will try to match partners by size regardless of grade.
- Can go to ground (keep gloves on) – when on ground can tap and resume standup sparring anytime – if you both want to keep rolling stay on the ground.
- Take into account injuries or preferences of your partner (eg. limited ground-work due to neck or shoulder injuries – or no leg kicks due to knee or leg injuries).
- No techniques that can’t be pulled or controlled.
- No referees – you have to look after each other – co-operative sparring – light contact – there is no ‘winner’ just ‘learners’!
- Tell your partner if they are hitting too hard – talk to you partner during sparring.
- Can stop anytime for a break – can resume anytime (no-one is judging).
- If anyone loses their cool they will be told to go home.
- Everyone should finish the day with no injuries and a bit better at real sparring.
Where: Giant Martial Arts – 170 Stoney Creek Rd, Bexley NSW 2207
When: Saturday 18 Feb 2017 from 3pm to 5pm
Cost per participant $20.
Reservations: Daniel Marie – TXT to 0411 612 904
Booked in Attendees
- Daniel Marie – AHA
- Anthony Repice – Giant MA
- Giorgio Repice – Giant MA
- Your name? TXT 0411 612 904 to book – easy!